News Ticker
  • IPB version 4.2 installed!
    Chatbox

Load More
    You don't have permission to chat.
  • Announcements

• paul

ATTN: BLACKFOOT   08/20/2017

Please register a new account. Tyralak will explain once you do. Thank you for shopping at Walmart.
Sign in to follow this  
Archinist

What sort of 'engine' would a dragon use for propulsion?

A dragon develops a certain disease which prevents it from flopping its wings back and forth to fly. Since he will starve to death without food, he decides to pay the local dwarven and elvish blacksmith-dark arts shop (the elf does the magic and the dwarf does the mundane) to look for a solution. What sort of fantasy thrust engine which would be suitable to mount on a light dragon/medium wyvern's wings would the craftsmen create?

Welcome to the Forum! :)

Now, as for which fantasy engine would best fit, my first guess would be the "giant sack full of helium elementals linked to a propeller" from "The Order of the Stick".  However, those Dust-powered airship engines from "RWBY" could also work.

I'll let some of the more "fantasy-experienced" members come up with their own theories.

Fire Breathing Dragon?  And how bad is this disease?  IE could a metal frame be attached to his own wings that he can deploy at will to act as a glider?  Combine that with some sort of system that he can breath fire into to redirect it and have jet propulsion.  Might be an adjustment period where a creature that can fly turns into a jet powered glider.  But maybe I've been playing too much GTA with the ME 163 clone.

An anti-grav field generator so the poor dragon won't fall to the ground, and a shuttle-sized warp engine to let him "blink" to a location he can see, then pounce on his prey and warp out again before the prey's buddies can return fire o_O